School Pupil Activity Bus (SPAB)
What is a Commercial Vehicle?
The State of California defines a commercial vehicle as one that transports for hire either people or products. Commercial vehicles include any vehicle designed to transport 10 or more people; vehicles that transport hazardous materials; vehicles designed to tow other vehicles; and vehicles of a certain weight or axle construction.
CDL Classes for Every State
To be eligible for a CDL, you must have a clean driving record. Federal regulations require you to pass a physical exam every two years. To operate a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce, you must be at least 21. Many states allow those as young as 18 to drive commercial vehicles within the state. You must be able to read and speak English well enough to read road signs, prepare reports, and communicate with the public and with law enforcement.
The aforementioned Act established three separate classes of commercial driver's licenses. Every state issues licenses in these categories:
- Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GWVR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds, including any under Class B and C.
- Class B: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR, including any under Class C.
- Class C: A Class C vehicle that carries hazardous materials; or, with endorsements, a 15-passenger van (if you're employed to do so).
Extra testing is required for certain types of commercial vehicles. If you pass, you will receive an endorsement on your CDL. These are the five endorsements that you can apply for. Each requires between one and five knowledge (written) tests, and two require driving (skills) tests.
- Double/Triple Trailers (knowledge test only)
- Passenger (knowledge and skills tests)
- Tank Vehicle (knowledge test only)
- Hazardous Materials (knowledge test only)
- School Buses (knowledge and skills tests)
Requirements for Medical Certification
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations require commercial drivers to have a physical exam, and carry a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) medical certificate if:
- You operate a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight (GCW) of 4,536 kilograms (10,001 pounds) or more in interstate commerce.
- You operate a motor vehicle designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, in interstate commerce.
- You operate a motor vehicle designed or used to transport between nine and 15 passengers, for direct compensation, beyond 75 air miles from your regular work-reporting location, in interstate commerce.
- You transport hazardous materials in quantities requiring placards, in interstate commerce.
- You must carry a current copy of your medical examination certificate with you when you drive. Residents of Mexico or Canada can be certified by doctors in their countries, provided they meet the U.S. requirements.
Free Rate Quote
Whether you want to treat yourself or just want a unique gift idea, it is fantastic for any occasion. These tours are a memorable way to spend a day whether it is in celebration of a big event or just something you've always wanted to do. See All Tours
The city of San Francisco is a beautiful area to visit. So many wonderful places may be a bit overwhelming. With our Grand City Tour, see all the sights you want without having to worry about missing the sights while navigating traffic. Grand City
Muir Woods/Sausalito Tour
Two of the most famous places to visit in the Bay Area are the Muir Woods and Sausalito. These two beautiful destinations are some of the most elegant and lovely in the Bay Area, and our Muir Woods and Sausalito Tour is perfect for seeing them both. Muir Woods/Sausalito Tour
Night on the Town
The San Francisco Bay Area is a beautiful place to visit, and even more beautiful when lit up at night. This tour is the perfect choice if you want to visit the great Bay Area clubs or just to see the view of the city lights when the sky is dark. With our customizable tours, you can see anything you'd like and enjoy a comfortable ride back home. Night on the Town
3 Bridges Tour
The three bridges of the Bay Area are a sight to see, and they lead to places you will want to see when visiting the Bay Area. The Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, and the San Rafael Bridge are the three major bridges of the Bay Area. You can see them all in a customizable tour driven by a professional chauffeur from from Nationwide Limousine Service. 3 Bridges Tour
Santa Cruz via Hwy 1 Tour
A wonderful way to visit Santa Cruz while you're in the Bay Area is to take one of our limo tours, specifically the Santa Cruz via Highway 1 Tour. This tour is tailored to your specifications, and you'll see scenic California by driving down Highway 1 to beautiful Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz via Hwy 1 Tour
Deluxe Napa Tour
Napa Valley boasts some of the most beautiful landscapes in all of California and is home to the country's most famous vineyards. To see it all, let someone else do the driving so you can sit back and enjoy the drive. At Nationwide Limousine Service, we are ready to help you by offering our Deluxe Napa Tour - long enough to see everything you want and fully customizable. Deluxe Napa Tour
Napa a la Carte Tour
The Napa a la Carte gives you the flexibility you need, in order to feel that you are getting the best deal for your money, whether you need a tour bus for a larger group or a simple but elegant luxury sedan just for two. The options include the type of limo rented and length of your tour. Napa a la Carte Tour
Monterey and Carmel Tour
Monterey and Carmel are two of the most magnificent places in the Bay Area. With sandy beaches and lovely ocean views, these two towns by the sea are worth a visit, even if you're not staying there. And you can enjoy your visit without worrying about navigating or parking the car. Monterey and Carmel Tour
Reno and Lake Tahoe Tour
Nationwide Limousine Service is proud to offer a fabulous Reno and Lake Tahoe Tour. Forget about the stress of driving and just sit back and relax in one of our comfortable, luxurious stretch limos ortake the whole group in a spectacular party bus while you get to see the sights you've chosen. Reno and Lake Tahoe Tour
Los Angeles via Hwy 1 Tour
Take the scenic Los Angeles via Highway 1 Tour on your next visit to California. You can sit back and watch the scenery while our professional driver takes you wherever you choose on a tour customized for you. Los Angeles via Hwy 1 Tour
Deluxe City Tour
The city of San Francisco is an amazing place for a vacation. Our Deluxe City Tour allows you to see the sights without having to worry about where to start or how to get there. Choose the places that you visit, and whether you just want to drive by or get out and look around. Deluxe City Tour
You don't have to be a student to enjoy the beauty of the campus at UC Berkeley. Thanks to Nationwide Limousine Service, you can enjoy this magnificent campus without worrying about traffic or parking. Whether you need a limo bus for your whole group or just a classic car for two, our customizable University Tour is the perfect solution. University Tour
Hearst Castle Tour
Halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, along scenic Highway 1, is the majestic Hearst Castle. Nationwide Limousine Service is proud to offer our beautiful and elegant limousines for our Hearst Castle Tour. You can go with a group of friends in a shuttle bus or just one other person in a stretch limo. Use our fully customizable tours to see everything you want. Hearst Castle Tour